sábado, 3 de octubre de 2015

The use of auxiliary verbs

Auxiliary verbs

Sometimes it is hard to remember how to use the auxiliary verbs, the auxiliary verbs are: be, do and have, so I will let you some guidance in hoy to use it:



Auxiliary be:

a. Be is used with verb + ing to make continuous verb forms.

For example:
  • You are lying 
  • They were reading 
  • We will be having dinner at 9 o' clock. 
  • You must be joking!!

b. Be is used with the past participle to make the passive.

For example:
  • These books are printed in China
  • Where were you born?
  • The car has been serviced 
  • The City had been destroyed
  • This work should be done soon.

Auxiliary Do

a. Do/does/did are used in the present simple and the Past Simple

  • Do you live near Alajuela?
  • He does not understand you!
  • When did they arrive?

b. Do/does/did are used to express emphasis when there is no other auxiliary

  • I am not interested in soccer, but I do like Basket ball
  • If only he had money" He does have money!!
  • Why did not you tell me? I did tell you!

Auxiliary have

Have is used with the past participle to make perfect verb forms:
  • Have you ever tried sushi?
  • My car had broken down  two times before
  • I will have finished this paperwork soon
  • I would like to have met Michael Jackson.
  • Having had lunch, we cleaned up!

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario